[ Fox Valley Permanent, start time: 8:30 am, Jan 15th, 2012 ]
I did my second permanent ride a few weeks ago in mid January. Unfortunately, it did not count towards my R-12 attempt as I was 15 minutes late for both the penultimate control and the finish. Following weekends in January was similarly windy. That meant my R-12 counter was reset before turning 2.
The weatherman got it wrong, again. It was a day of strong south winds (10-15 mph with up to 25 mph gusts). I think I failed to intake sufficient fuel, and I could not fight the wind after some point. I remember having a hard time maintaining 10 kph at times on the two long stretches between Plano and Ottawa. The last 2/3 of the ride was not much fun as I was too busy trying to focus on keeping a good pace & meet the control times.
Here is some random notes.
– Thanks to brand new 32mm Pasela TG tires and keeping a straight line, I managed to go over fresh snow, black ice, snow covered ice, snow dust, frozened and hardened mud and the like without incident.
– Homemade map holder did not survive the wind. I bought one, it looks pretty sturdy.
– Navigation was so much easier this second time. Very little bonus distance. Was able to guess how long a few kms take, so I could complete short legs without aid of bike computer. That means less hassle in dark.
– Shouting ¨No, bad dog, no!¨ can keep some dogs from chasing you 🙂 Although I think the mean dog was not around this time.
– Try to put down time limits on cue sheet for about every 10 km`s, so as to gauge (lack of) progress better.
– Last but not least, in fact most importantly, what to eat on the road to keep my energy levels high? How to keep the food from freezing?
=== speed stats
start time: 8:30 official, 8:38 actual
leg distance averageSpeed route atControl
1 24 18 1:18 0:24
2 36 16.6 2:07 0:23
3 52 16.8 3:06 1:00
4 57 18.4 3:08 0:26
5 42 17.5 2:23
total: 211 17.5 12:02 2:13
overall: 14.8 14:15